Mel Kalmans, co-founder of Salas O’Brien’s Houston office and an industry veteran of nearly 60 years, announced his retirement yesterday in a meeting with the Salas O'Brien teams in Texas and Louisiana. To ensure a smooth transition for clients, Mel’s retirement will take place at the end of 2018.
Aside from Mel’s devoted family, Salas O'Brien's CEO, Darin Anderson, is one of Mel’s biggest fans. When Mel let Darin knows of his plans, Darin said, “This news is bittersweet. Mel’s character, passion, and technical excellence have been massive influences in the lives of everyone at Salas O’Brien. He's had a great career and could have retired 10 years ago, but he chose to stay and invest in the future of Salas O’Brien. Both we and our clients will benefit from this for decades.”
Below is a summary of Mel’s amazing career:
- 1960-62: Electrical Engineer at Brown & Root Contractors, designing pipeline gas compressor stations.
- 1962-68: Electrical Engineer at I.A. Naman & Associates, designing office buildings, grocery stores, retail buildings, and medical buildings. Received PE license during this time.
- 1968-72: Principal at Stauffacher & Kalmans Consulting Engineers, providing MEP services for grocery stores, retail buildings, and shopping centers. (Many clients served by Stauffacher & Kalmans are clients of Salas O’Brien today.)
- 1972-74: Electrical Engineer at Getz Electric, in charge of design, construction & estimating of all projects. Received Master Electrical License in Houston and surrounding areas.
- 1974-77: Principal at Kalmans Electric Company after purchasing Getz Electric, maintaining the same client base and expanding into a design construction firm.
- 1977-80: Houston Manager of Operations at Moore Electric Company, after selling Kalmans Electric to Moore.
- 1980-2018: Principal at R.H. George & Associates, which would become Kalmans Marshall Engineering, and eventually Salas O’Brien.
A reception is being planned for early 2019 to properly celebrate Mel's accomplishments and influence at Salas O'Brien. In the meantime, please enjoy the photo gallery below, and join us in congratulating Mel on nearly 60 years in the industry!